Best of all, they’ve kept it free and open to the public. His work in preserving the natural world and supporting healthy cultures is ongoing. Nonetheless, after doing research for this story, I found out that Occoneechee Speedway was one of the very first official NASCAR race tracks in use, going back to 1948 when it was bought by Bill France, Sr., the organization’s founder. At the time, it was renowned for being one of the few tracks to exceed a half-mile in length, measuring 0.9 miles. What an interesting location, thanks for also sharing part of the history! After heading north up the track for about a tenth of a mile, I came to one of the historic stock cars on display, apparently driven by Herbert Cates. A forum community dedicated to Corvette C Series owners and enthusiasts. The Sunday racing schedule prompted grassroots opposition in Hillsborough, and the final race was a Richard Petty victory on September 15, 1968. Walking to the northernmost end of the track, I noticed a trail diverging from the track and decided to follow it. The other part is that it’s been largely overlooked and forgotten by the rest of the world, especially now that it’s no longer an active race track. The Occoneechee Speedway hosted stock car racing legends such as Fireball Roberts, Richard Petty, Ned Jarrett and Junior Johnson. He shares original nature photojournalism on this site, Mark All My Words. Still, WRAL Data Trackers' 7-Day rolling average continues to inch upward. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. September 29. The original track remains as when it first hosted early stock car races where spectators sat in lawn chairs in the backs of pickups and on ... Erica L wrote a review Aug 2018. His work has appeared in numerous online publications, including Vietnam Trade and Travel Portal, Rethinking Life, and Incidents and Accidents. Why So Many of Us Don’t Lose Weight When We Exercise, NC single-day coronavirus cases dip to 1,807 after recent record highs. Approaching it, I noticed the wooden seats and lack of seat belts. This was especially true of a recent hike to Occoneechee Speedway in Hillsborough, North Carolina. JavaScript is disabled. Out in the woods along the banks of the Eno River, you may be surprised to find the remains of a speedway owned by the king of NASCAR himself: Daytona Beach's Bill France, Sr. Then I turned around and noticed the stairs leading up to the stadium. McConnell says 'of course not', Viral TikTok shows Black man forcefully arrested at wife's traffic stop, NASA mission grabs samples of an asteroid, Here are the records we're breaking this hurricane season, Free COVID-19 tests now offered after work, on weekends, Show us your costume, get a shoutout on TODAY, Plan Your Vote: WRAL Voting Resources 2020, Here's all you need to know about the candidates running for Wake County Board of Commissioners, 'It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown' won't air on TV this year, Finalists revealed for WRAL Voters' Choice Awards, Sparta residents struggling to clean up earthquake damage, make repairs. Moving on from the stadium, I passed the reconstructed press box and passed through the tin fence that surrounds the perimeter of the site. It was a crown jewel in Nascar for most of its existence. Yesterday, the state reported the third-highest number of coronavirus cases in one day since start of pandemic. On my way out, I passed another old stock racing car, tucked away in the woods, this one sky blue and of a later model than the others. Registration & resources for the 2020 elections ›, From cooking to crafts, we’re at home with you ›, Tips to get discounts when you're in college. Very cool post! These locations often feature rivers, forests, wetlands, and wildlife — which are to be expected on a hiking trail. Occoneechee Speedway Hillsborough, NC. Yesterday, the state reported the third-highest number of coronavirus cases in one day since start of pandemic. Then, after a hundred feet or so, I came to by far the creepiest structure at Occoneechee Speedway: the men’s outhouse. Occoneechee Orange Speedway Car Show Aug 28, 2010 Posted by thecounterpoint under Car Show, Group, Hillsborough, ... September 2018 (4) August 2018 (5) July 2018 (4) May 2018 (1) April 2018 (2) March 2018 (2) February 2018 (2) November 2017 (3) September 2017 (1) August 2017 (1) Apparently this former track is one of the original NASCAR tracks, and proceeds from this show go towards preservation. Apparently this former track is one of the original NASCAR tracks, and proceeds from this show go towards preservation. 7 reviews of Historic Occoneechee Speedway "It's funny how many people don't know about this place. But occasionally there are surprises on my hikes that have little to do with exceptional natural beauty. Before I get into my experience of exploring this site, I should mention that I’m not really a fan of stock car racing. If you previously used a social network to login to WRAL.com, click the “Forgot your password” link to reset your password. (Sir Richard Petty won the last race held here, of course!) ... joggers and runners. Glossary Tweet: NASCAR Cup Series Race Recaps. The 1-mile Occoneechee Speedway was an active NASCAR track from 1949 to 1968, and it's the only surviving speedway from NASCAR's first season. Historic Occoneechee - Orange Speedway First Annual "Celebration of the Automobile". ... USAC Champ Car Series Indianapolis 500 Results IROC Langers Juice S-2 Series A1 Grand Prix N.A. Beautiful location as well. Since that time, however, the Classical American Homes Preservation Trust has acquired the site and made a priority of keeping it in presentable shape. Apr 26, 2018 Chris Owens. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more! So, on the afternoon of January 9th, 2020, I headed to Hillsborough, North Carolina and parked at the public parking deck adjacent to Weaver St. Market — which I’ve also used in the past to access the Hillsborough Riverwalk. Nonetheless, after doing research for this story, I found out that Occoneechee Speedway was one of the very first official NASCAR race tracks in use, going back to 1948 when it was bought by Bill France, Sr., the organization’s founder. Still, WRAL Data Trackers' 7-Day rolling average continues to inch upward. Of course the history’s nice, but it’s no substitute for seeing it with your own two eyes. Historic Occoneechee - Orange Speedway First Annual "Celebration of the Automobile". Donations help Durham woman get cotton candy business started, TOM EARNHARDT: A vote for the vibrant colors of October, TOMAS LOPEZ: Don't wait! After finishing the very short but pleasant Big Bend Trail, I returned to the speedway itself and finished the 0.9 mile circuit. Then, in 1968, protests from local clergy — who were tired of parishioners being absent from their pews on Sunday, the official race day — led to the eventual closing of the track. More Cash App customers contact 5 On Your Side, WCPSS honors Broughton Magnet High School principal as 'Principal of the Year', Cook like the Fair: Whiskey Kitchen's fried strawberries, Fuquay-Varina family's haunted pirate ship collects toys for military families, Foodie News: Standard Beer and Food opens in Raleigh, Comedic relief: SNL pokes fun at presidential debate, NC single-day coronavirus cases dip to 1,807 after recent record highs

Rugby United New York Tickets, Partynextdoor Rendezvous, Pyrmont Population Statistics, Falcon Stadium Location, Let It Roll Sound System,